We suggest you avoid wearing a cashmere garment two days in a row. Let it rest for a day, airing your garment for a few hours on a flat surface, preferably outdoors, before wearing it again.
After wearing your new cashmere garment for the first few times, you may find small balls of fibre forming on the surface. These small balls or 'pills' are caused by some of the loose fibre tangling together as areas of your garment are rubbed during wear. The appearance of pilling should not be interpreted as an indication of low quality because it can be removed with proper maintenance.
Pills can be easily removed by using our Elle + Riley de-pilling knitwear comb.
Cashmere improves with age and if cared for properly its wonderful features are enhanced. It is preferable to have a garment that expresses all the naturalness of the fine thread of which it is composed.
1. Gently remove by hand or with suitable tools the peeling particles
2. Hand wash at a temperature not exceeding 30°C
3. Use specific detergents like our Elle + Riley wool & cashmere shampoo for wool in small quantities
4. Gently squeeze the suds through the fabric, taking care not to rub, wring or stretch the garment
5. Rinse well, squeeze out as much excess water as possible, and carefully spread the garment horizontally to dry. If the garment is soaking you can roll it in a clean towel to help squeeze excess water out prior to laying flat
6. Dry naturally away from direct heat such as radiators or sunlight. Do not tumble dry or hang up a cashmere garment it will irreversibly deform
7. Steam if necessary to eliminate wrinkles
After the first few washes following these steps, the formation of pilling will stop in a natural way and the original softness of the thread will be maintained over time.
How can I remove creases from a cashmere sweater?
If unsightly creases persist, just give a simple blow of steam with the iron, at a distance of 5cm from the garment or, if necessary, iron the inside out sweater protected by a cotton cloth at minimum temperature.
Which detergent and/or fabric softener is used for washing?
We suggest you use a delicate liquid detergent specifically for cashmere.
Our Elle + Riley cashmere wash has been made from all natural ingredients with a custom scent to clean and preserve your cashmere and our deodorising spray freshens between washes.
Does a cashmere garment stretch or shrink after washing?
A pure cashmere sweater made of fine thread will remain the same for years if it is carefully cared for and maintained properly by following the instructions provided.
Why should I spend so much for a cashmere sweater when I can get one in wool?
Cashmere is lighter and warmer than sheep’s wool, because within its fibre is an air chamber that acts as an extremely hot thermal insulator to protect the goats from the rigid Mongolian Highland temperatures. The cashmere fibre has a high degree of moisture absorption, and as a result the insulating properties vary with the rate of relative humidity, both of the body and of the external environment. This allows the body to breathe perfectly maintaining a constant temperature.
How can you recognise high quality cashmere from low quality?
The quality of a fine thread sweater is related to the title, to the purity of the thread, the section of the fibre (between 14 and 18 microns) and the length of the fibre. In essence, the longer and thinner the raw material (fibre), the more fine and valuable will be the thread that it is obtained. The thread used should always be a two ply (i.e. two twisted threads) undercoat
Elle + Riley Cashmere